Sunday, December 4, 2011

First Mini Blanket/Quilt







So I've been inspired lately to sew since we got my 8 year old daughter a Janome Sew Mini. It is the perfect size and very light so it is easy to put away and set up.

I've also been looking at quilting and thought it would be interesting to try making Black Kitty a patchwork blanket. I've always wanted to quilt. I used vintage pillowcase scraps that a friend bought at Value Village. No batting.

So, uh, here it is...looks more like a PLACEMAT! It was supposed to be 8x10 but it is more 6x9ish, oh well. I took it upstairs and placed it over Black Kitty so Sarah will see it in the morning. I'm sure she'll be thrilled with her placemat/blanket! But a worthy first try and I learned several things, mainly that I included the seam allowance in the width instead of adding it on as extra, duh, that's why it is too small! AND because the lighting isn't that great in the dining room and the right and wrong side look the same, I gave my seam ripper a workout when I attached the wrong sides together when sewing on the backside! Then I tried to get fancy and did a little lame scrolly thing thinking it would look more quilted. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...